Thursday, April 12, 2007

ABBIE AND SAM



The second week of April is always a bit somber for me. It was 18 years ago on the 12th that Abbie Hoffman died, and 15 years ago on the 10th that Sam Kinison died. Both are heroes of mine. Both are role models to me. (I named my first two 'baby ALFs' after them.) Neither was ever afraid to speak his mind, and neither ever worried about who they'd piss off in doing so. Both passed away too soon.

Abbie was the clown prince of the antiwar movement during Vietnam, helping lead some of the greatest PR stunts of the movement (throwing dollar bills at the NYSE, the exorcism of the Pentagon, etc.), and of course was front and center as one of the Chicago Seven (Eight).

The morning of the day the shit hit the fan in Chicago in August 1968, Abbie was in a restaurant having breakfast when two cops confronted him and demanded that he take off his cowboy hat. He eventually did, revealing the word "FUCK" written on his forehead (a similar incident got me kicked out of Job Corps), was promptly arrested, and spent the rest of the day being bounced between precincts just long enough to keep him away from the Battle of Michigan Avenue.

He delivered two of my favorite courtroom quotes. When on trial for wearing a shirt with an American flag motif (many mistook the shirt as being made from a flag), considered 'desecration of the flag' (though many others had worn similar garb without being tried, proving that Abbie was really on trial for the thoughts in his head), he stood before the judge, the torn shirt lying in view on a table, struck a defiant pose and declared, "Your honor, I regret that I have but one shirt to give for my country."

The other was near the end of the Chicago trial, when he quoted Lincoln's inaugural address of 1861: "'When the people shall grow weary of their constitutional right to amend the government, they shall exert their revolutionary right to dismember and overthrow that government.' If Abraham Lincoln had given that speech in Lincoln Park, he would be on trial right here in this courtroom because that is an inciteful speech." The quote is as timely as ever today.

As for Sam, he is remembered for many classic bits, but if he could only be remembered for one, it would rightfully be the "Phone Call From Hell". He would call up 2 or 3 guys from the audience, listen to their stories about how some bitch broke their heart, pick a winner, then have a phone brought on stage so he could call her then and there and tell her off Kinison-style. This was a much-needed public service, and I wish I could have enlisted his help, though I was able to do it myself, in a way, at karaoke once using Sam's version of "Are You Lonesome Tonight". (Not to mention my "Jagged Little Parody", in which I spoke my mind and didn't care who I pissed off...Deja vu!)

More inspirational for me, though, was one of his many visits to the Steve Dahl Show. Never mind the mind-blowing show when Slash called from his car, then showed up in the studio to trade veiled drug references with Sam while Steve microwaved Oscar Mayer Zappetites right there in the studio (I labeled the tape "Zappetite For Destruction"). The visit that really stood out for me came just weeks after Sam's younger brother Kevin committed suicide in 1988.

At a time when any other guest or host would have steered clear of such a subject, Sam tackled it head-on with the sickest, darkest, and funniest humor possible. The highlight was when he talked about the wake. He told of standing in front of the casket next to his other brother Bill and their mother. When she said, through her tears, "He was the best...God always takes the best...", Sam and Bill looked at each other, then Sam said "So what are you trying to say, Mom?" Everyone at the wake cracked up. "Give us something to live for, will ya?" He had done his good deed for the day.

I always knew that Type 1 diabetes would someday claim my oldest brother Louie, and upon hearing that show, I immediately knew I would remember it when the inevitable day came. Sure enough, after Louie died in 2000, I kept Sam's example in my memory and maintained my sense of humor through the first huge loss of my life.

I have endured many more trying times in the years since, the senseless killing of my mom at the hands of medical incompetence, the 'Three is a tragic number' incident (no, not Earnhardt's death, though there's that too), my trainwreck of a breakup, being wrongfully fired (supposedly for something I didn't do, but really for being antiwar and atheist...punished for the thoughts in my head, yet more deja vu!), just to name a few, and of course I've had to endure the Bush administration's stupidity and their illegal war. And I have maintained my sense of humor through it all.

And I have Abbie and Sam to thank. Abbie endured an unjust war, Sam endured a tragic loss. Each did so with their sense of humor intact.

My own sense of humor has been my lifejacket, and Abbie and Sam each supplied a generous breath of air to help inflate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment