Wednesday, December 24, 2008

DO I HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING MYSELF?

Thought of a really good idea in the shower just now, and just googled it to see if anyone else had thought of it already. Nothing came up. So let me just float this idea out there in case anyone is interested in taking it on...

I think there ought to be a support group for family and friends of non-believers, sort of like PFLAG.

For all of my friends and relatives who are reading this, here's a chance to do something really nice for others like you.

I came out as bisexual by birth (and straight by choice) just a few years ago, and I have been fortunate that practically everyone has accepted me as such.

On the other hand, I came out as a non-believer nearly 30 years ago, and I still am met with non-acceptance constantly from all sides (mainly relatives, to be frank).

And as yet another holiday season approaches its climax, there are still those in my life who just can't seem to fully accept that I want nothing to do with any of it.

For example, my dad still sends me a Xmas card every year, which is basically the equivalent of constantly setting your son up on dates with women for 3 decades after he comes out as gay. (PS: Here's a couple of alternative ideas...how about a Solstice card? Or Festivus?)

I am a non-believer. I was born this way and I'll die this way. There is nothing wrong with me. Just like being bi or bald or blue-eyed or left-handed, it is not a disease or a defect. I couldn't change if I wanted to, which I don't. I like me just the way I am.

Everybody...I'm here, I'm atheist, get used to it! You've had plenty of time.

And here's hoping somebody reading this--friend, relative, whomever--picks up the ball and starts that support group!

No comments:

Post a Comment