Tuesday, January 11, 2005

KARAOKE RECAPS:

SATURDAY, JANUARY 8, MUTZ, 6 SONGS


For the first 3-4 songs it was just me and Doug. Just like the old days at Mugzie's. (sigh) Memories...

Turn The Page--Bob Seger--On my mind since NYE. The lady friend can sing it in the car, hoping to convince her she can sing it at karaoke as well.
Fake Plastic Trees--Radiohead--Not quite sick of it yet.
Not For You--Pearl Jam
Outside--Staind--14th time for this one. There's one tricky spot where my voice cracks every now and then. Dammit.
You Don't Love Me Anymore--Weird Al Yankovic--14th time for this one, so they're still tied for first. Wanted to work the crowd before the big premiere...
NEW--Fat Girls--Ducksoup--A parody of "Mad World" which I wrote Friday afternoon. Sort of a kinder, gentler "Baby Got Back", actually along the same lines of the Snackstreet Boys' "I Want A Fat Babe", but to a tune that's well within my range. (To save space here, those who would like to read the lyrics can request them by email at askduckpond@sacbeemail.com)

MONDAY, JANUARY 10, SOUTHWYCK LOUNGE, 3 SONGS

NEW--Ohio--Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
--Earlier in the day, a statue was unveiled downtown of former Ohio governor James Rhodes, the scumbag responsible for the Kent State shootings. A dozen of us were there to protest, chanting "Four dead in Ohio". It would be far more appropriate to put up a statue paying tribute to Allison Krause, Jeffrey Miller*, Sandra Scheuer*, and William Schroeder, instead of a statue of the man responsible for their deaths. As it was, I paid them my own small tribute.
It's Been Awhile--Staind--...since I sang this song.
NEW--So Yesterday--Hilary Duff--Completing my Spears/Lavigne/Duff hat trick. Tried the EVV...too low. Tried an HDV...too high. I shoulda went with my Kinison song like I was going to in the first place.

*A couple of Kent State connections:
My fellow NWOPCer Betty C. taught at Kent State at the time, and Scheuer was one of her students.
My geography teacher at Rogers HS attended Kent State and was roommates with Miller. (The year I was in his class, there was a TV-movie about Kent State which he taped and screened for us. Interesting bit of trivia he pointed out: The infamous photo of the girl kneeling in horror next to one of the slain students inspired the line in the song "What if you knew her and found her dead on the ground..." because CSNY thought the slain student in the photo was female. But in fact, it was Miller.)

No comments:

Post a Comment