Thursday, September 23, 2004

NEW REGULAR FEATURE (MAYBE): WEEKLY KARAOKE RECAP (Sept 17-20)

Why not start this new feature right after what was perhaps my busiest weekend of karaoke ever? 19 songs in 3 nights! And only two that I had sung previously. I'm popping 'cherry-okes' left and right.

Friday, Mugzie's, 8 songs
The triumphant return to Dickweed's! Soon as I took the mike for my first song, I said something along the lines of "Good evening, dickweeds!" Micki scolded me later. I'm so naughty! Lighter queue than I'm used to at Mutz, about 15-16 singers total for the night. Frank from the Roadhouse was there, said he could do "Edmund Fitzgerald" without looking at the screen, but chickened out of my challenge to turn off the monitor. Guess I'll have to school him sometime.
Are You Lonesome Tonight--Sam Kinison--Frank heard me do this at the Roadhouse and requested it. It's been much more well-received now that I warn people that it's the Kinison version. As opposed to the first time I did it, with no warning, and the crowd was scared silent. [big evil grin]
Can't You See--Marshall Tucker Band--Heard it on the radio last week and forgot I had sung it before. Was always a favorite of my late bro Lou and I to sing in the car together.
Come Sail Away--Styx--Sang it in my 'new improved' Elvis voice. For some reason I stumbled upon the concept of "What if Elvis were the lead singer for Styx?" The crowd was stunned into silence. I love when that happens. I can't wait to do "Babe" as Elvis, or just about any other Styx song.
Fuck It--Eamon--First heard this when someone sang it at Mugzie's months ago. Filled out a slip for it and promised myself I'd learn it. Finally did so last week when it became relevant to me. Went over well.
Gonna Be Some Changes Made--Bruce Hornsby--A song I had them find for me. Went well, seemed like a shortened version, but not sure. Could become one of my best, but needs work.
The Last DJ--Tom Petty--Finished the night on this one. Nailed it. But it was the last song of the night so the crowd could have cared less.
Milkshake--Kelis--Changed the gender references and did sort of a Michael Jackson voice by accident. Mixed reaction. Was later complimented for having the balls to do it.
Somebody Told Me--The Killers--Another song I had them find for me, so I had to try it. Worked surprisingly well. Was worried about the range, I pushed it a bit. But I got the last high note.

Saturday, Mutz, 8 songs
Where'd everybody go? 19 singers total. Started singing at 10:05. I did the first 3 songs of the night! I was willing to keep going until someone else joined the queue or until my voice wore out. Fellow Karaokaholics Larry and Kay showed up about midnight. Had Kay do her signature, "Holly Holy". Tried not to let people see me grinning.
Dancing Queen--Abba--Did my best to do it like Robbie Fulks, including the "So utterly now!" yell, etc. Mixed reception.
The Flame--Cheap Trick--Working on some CT songs for a new friend who's a CT fan. Had to use the old reliable Eddie Vedder voice.
A Horse With No Name--America--Been meaning to try some America tunes. This one seemed to work okay. Got more ready to go.
Norwegian Wood-The Beatles--Frankly, I'm scared to try most Beatles stuff. Went low on the bridges.
Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35--Bob Dylan--Ended the night on this one, with help from Kay. She had the 3rd-to-last song of the night, the Tom Petty song with the 'let's roll another joint' line, so that was a nice lead-in. Very well-received, fun song to end on. We did some chorus-line kicks and a do-si-do during the instrums, and changed some lines: "I would not feel so in a funk / Everybody must get drunk" and "I would not feel so out of luck / Everybody must get fucked!"
Runaway Train--Soul Asylum--Been meaning to do for weeks, finally got around to it. Well within my range. Might add to my regular rotation.
Secret Touch--Rush--The only recent Rush track they have, I had to try it at least once, even though I knew the range was too high.
Wet Dream--Kip Addotta--Can you say "THUD"? My delivery was dead-on, but it fell flat. D'oh! See, this is what happens when no local radio station bothers to carry Dr. Demento!

Monday, Southwyck Lounge, 3 songs
Finally learned how to start everything up. Sort of. Now I just have to commit all the steps to memory. Some guy did "Outside". He was so-so. Shoulda left it to an expert. That fucker is MY song. My best song at that. Nobody can touch me on it. If the guy's there next week, I'm gonna have to school his ass. I've got the lyrics memorized so I never look at the screen, but as I watched I was reminded of just how wrong the lyrics are on the screen for this song.
I Want You To Want Me--Cheap Trick--Working on the CT stuff again. A vocal stretch, but I managed. I think a certain CT fan is gonna be floored.
Mad World--Michael Andrews featuring Gary Jules--Keep hearing this among the songs that play in between singers. Wrote it down Saturday, practiced it Sunday, and whipped it out Monday. Kind of high, but subdued, much like Coldplay, so I handled it quite well. Another candidate for my regular rotation.
Sloop John B--The Beach Boys--Now this one goes into my regular rotation for sure! Was worried about it, but turns out it matches my vocal range perfectly. Got it in at 10:50. Sang the last line, "I wanna go home" then added "but I gotta go to work, I'm outta here!" and Doug and I high-tailed out the back door! Just barely made it to work on time. But was worth it to know I can do my favorite BBs tune from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment