Tuesday, September 28, 2004

WEEKLY KARAOKE RECAP (Sept. 24-27)

My new friend actually said the other day, "We've got to break you out of your karaoke habit." She don't know me vewy well, do she? :)

Friday, Mugzie's, 8 songs
After last week's blitzkrieg of new songs, I decided to kick it old school for the most part. 3 new, 5 old. Actually 2 new and 6 old if you count the new "Outside" (see below) as an old one.

NEW--I Believe In A Thing Called Love, The Darkness
It's about damn time I got around to this. (At least by myself. I've sung along with others often enough on this.) Nailed it. Of course. (cue ego inflation)

NEW--Tuesday's Gone, Lynyrd Skynyrd
Heard it on the radio that afternoon. Had to try it. I'm just so darn suggestible. Nailed it.

Trouble, Coldplay
An old fave. I was a bit rusty on it though.

NEW--Outside, Aaron Lewis & Fred Durst
If only I'd known sooner that they had this live, acoustic version. Helps curb my tendency to try to overpower the music on the bridge. I can relax a bit, and you can hear me. (Also I kind of like the crowd noise on it. Makes me feel like an actual rock star. Ooooh.)

Mad World, Michael Andrews featuring Gary Jules
See last week.

Sloop John B, The Beach Boys
See last week.

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is, Chicago
Ah yes, the one I outright stole from Doug. Oh well, he knows I do it better.

One Thing, Finger Eleven
The song that drove me to Mutz in the first place. That was last November. I just had to get it out of my head. Been a while since I did it though. Sat down while singing it, just for old time's sake. (Those first several weeks I'd drag a barstool over to the mic, because I felt I did better sitting than standing.)

Saturday, Mutz, 2 songs
Eeyikes. Mutz seems to average 30 singers on Saturdays. Last week there were only 20, this week there were 40. I guess it balanced itself out. Last week I asked "Where'd everybody go?" This week I asked "Why couldn't they go wherever they went last week?!" My lack of god! Plus I overslept and got there at 10:40. Only got in 2 solo songs! D'oh! I had to resort to being "Helper Monkey" on a few other songs.

NEW--Somewhere Out There, Our Lady Peace
Hmmm. I seem to be gaining a bit more high mid-range voice, depending on the song. (What's helped is, I finally realized that's pretty much what I manage on the "Outside" bridge.)

The Last DJ, Tom Petty
See last week. Wanted to give some props to a WXUT jock who was also there singing. Not that he noticed. Ungrateful bastid.

Paradise City, Guns 'N' Roses
Helper Monkey joined a chorus of drunk frat boys, and was the only one who managed a passable Axl Rose voice, thank you.

Walk Like An Egyptian, The Bangles
Fat Bastard's female co-singer was a no-show, so he asked Helper Monkey to fill in. Um, yeah. Oh well, you know me, anything for shits and giggles. Yes, I did the dance too. I have no shame. (I even tried to moonwalk like an Egyptian. I have issues.)

Monday, Southwyck Lounge, 5 songs
Okay. I got in more songs Monday than I did Saturday. What's wrong with this picture?

Tuesday's Gone, Lynyrd Skynyrd
It played on the jukebox prior to D&M's arrival. I'm just so darn suggestible. Nailed it again. Very well-received.

NEW--Aint Talkin Bout Love, Van Halen
So there's this mp3 I really dig on, by Dirty Power, in which they do this song without ever having rehearsed it, and they totally nail it. Keeping in mind a potential future as the lead singer for Baldy, I took my own unrehearsed stab at it, and nailed it as well. A crowd-pleaser to boot. Patrock and the guys would be proud I think.

NEW--Ode To A Superhero, Weird Al Yankovic
"Sling us a web, you're the Spiderman!" Brought the "Poodle Hat" lyrics along. Doug and those in the audience who had seen the films seemed to enjoy it.

Outside, Aaron Lewis & Fred Durst
The guy who tried it last week was back. I schooled him. (Oh yeah, and the lyrics are wrong on this version too.)

NEW--A Complicated Song, Weird Al Yankovic
I asked the two singers ahead of me to let me go ahead of them so I could leave for work and they kindly obliged. I figured since I had the "Poodle Hat" lyrics with me, why not try this one? Because Al does it in a different key than Avril, that's why! Which I totally forgot. Boy did this song live up to its title!!! Had to constantly (and I mean constantly!) switch between going high and low. Ick. I guess that's what I get for queue-barging.

Next week? Got some new additions to my "want to sing" stack...
The Baby, Blake Shelton
Guy sang it Monday for his friend whose mother just died. I'm just glad I didn't start crying.
Basket Case, Green Day
I have this new thing that I do when I'm helping run the show: If someone does a song that I think I'd like to try, I keep their slip and cross their name out and write in mine and add it to the stack! Recycling, baby!
Got The Time, Anthrax
Also recycled from someone else.
I Miss You, Blink 182
Another one that keeps coming up on the backgorund playlist between singers.
Peace Train & Wild World, Cat Stevens
I gotta get to these soon. I fear D&M might deport them from their system!
It's Hard To Kiss The Lips At Night That Chew Your Ass Out All Day Long, The Notorious Cherry Bombs
The second-longest song title I've seen in the PKE book. Takes up two lines.
Dixie Rose Deluxe's Honky Tonk, Feed Store, Gun Shop, Used Car, Beer, Bait, Barbecue, Barber Shop, Laundromat, Trent Willmon
Takes up THREE lines! And yes, I'm already memorizing it! Be afraid. Be very afraid. Muwahahahahahaaaaa!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment