Thursday, October 21, 2004

Before we get to the W.K.R., I gotta say...WAY TO GO, RED SOX! Coming back from a 3-0 hole to knock off the hated Yankees! I am pleasantly shocked and stunned!

Now, on to business...

WEEKLY KARAOKE RECAP (OCTOBER 15-18)

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 15, MUGZIE'S, 21 SONGS
You read right, 21 songs in one night, shattering my old record of 12. For a solid two hours it was just me and Doug, back and forth, tag-team singing, with a couple of duets thrown in for variety.

NEW--She's So High--Tal Bachman--Heard it on the radio, had to try it.
NEW--1985--Bowling For Soup--Heard it in-between singers, had to try it. I'm just too damn suggestible.
Oh Pretty Woman--Roy Orbison--Gosh I like doing this one. I think the growl could lead to great things for me. The chicks dig it.
Away From The Sun--3 Doors Down--Another in-between song. You know, if I accidentally hear the Spice Girls one of these days, I'm doomed.
NEW--Better Man--Pearl Jam--Sending this one out to all my female friends.
Behind Blue Eyes--The Who--I hear the Limp Bizkit version in-between, but I prefer to do the Who version. Well, actually I do throw in "L-I-M-P...whatever" at one point.
NEW--Crocodile Rock--Elton John--I knew if I could do Bennie & The Jets, I could do this one. I was right. Dunno if I'll do it again anytime soon though. The la-la-la shit at the end gets annoying.
Babylon--David Gray--Been meaning to do this one more often. Not sure if I like the short version though.
NEW--Generation Landslide--Alice Cooper--Just because I like to throw in a sort-of-obscure tune once in a while.
If I Had $1,000,000--Barenaked Ladies--Duet with Doug. We do good harmony on it.
Dock Of The Bay--Otis Redding--I do it well, I like it, but I could do without having to do the whistling part at the end.
It's No Good--Arthur Kill/Depeche Mode--This time I added the AK-style primal scream at the end.
1979--Smashing Pumpkins--The 1996 SOTY. My Billy Corgan is right on.
One More Minute--Weird Al Yankovic--Tried to work the crowd this time, but there were only 2 or 3 ladies in the crowd, and I think it best if I refrain from turning it into a gay number. At least not in a str8 bar.
Dixie Rose Deluxe's Honky Tonk, Feed Store, Gun Shop, Used Car, Beer, Bait, BBQ, Barber Shop, Laundromat--Trent Willmon--Gotta love not having to look at the words.
NEW--You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'--The Righteous Brothers--Duet with Doug. Pretty damn good for our first try. Harmony was excellent. Once we work out our solo parts, we could nail this one every time.
Outside (live acoustic version)--Aaron Lewis & Fred Durst--I dig on it. Nuff said.
Sloop John B--The Beach Boys--Felt like experimenting, went low at first, tried some mid-range here and there, and ended in my ridiculously-high voice. Think I'll stick to low from now on.
NEW--She Hates Me--Puddle Of Mudd--Saved it for the last half hour in case I killed my voice on it. I didn't, my mid-range held out.
Float On--Modest Mouse--After we finished, I was waiting for my cab, watching a couple of nicely-built chubby gals play pool. One of them complimented me on this song, and I was possibly on the verge of something very interesting, when the stupid cab showed up and I had to leave. Lesson learned: wait a while before calling the cab!
Mother--Pink Floyd--I must remember to take note of the reverb level so I get it just right every time.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 16, MUTZ, 1 SONG
My first solo flight running the show! Woohoo! Funny how things balance out...Friday I did 21 songs and we had 7 singers. Saturday I did 1 song and ended up having to manage 48 singers on the night. But I was not flustered or overwhelmed in the least. I simply stuck to the usual formula, got everyone in at least once, and still had fun. I believe I proved myself worthy of running the show whenever needed in future. I was professional, I acted normal for the most part, and Helper Monkey stayed in his cage. (The highlight was when I had about a dozen people singing "Bohemian Rhapsody". They weren't exactly all in sync with each other or the tune, so I began 'conducting' them. Worked very well. It was magical. Michael Kamen, eat your heart out!)

Away From The Sun--3 Doors Down--Got in the first song of the night, but my orders were to take myself out of the queue once I had 10 singers, which happened before I could get to a second song. So this was it.

MONDAY, OCTOBER 18, SOUTHWYCK LOUNGE, 4 SONGS
Only 3 other singers during my short appearance, so I made the most of it.

You Don't Love Me Anymore--Weird Al Yankovic--I wish I always had an old used guitar to smash at the end of the song whenever I do this one. As it is I have to make do with a heavy-metal-type primal scream.
Oh Pretty Woman--Roy Orbison--See Friday.
NEW--Turn The Page--Bob Seger--Nailed it. Didn't think I would.
Sundown--Gordon Lightfoot--As soon as I walked in, some guy yelled "Ducksoup!" Seems I'm gaining a reputation. :) For whatever reason the guy also yelled "Sundown", so I assumed it was a request. I'm always open to requests, BTW, should any of my readers come to hear me sing. If I know it, I'll do it!

Song I want to sing: "I Hold Your Hand In Mine" by Tom Lehrer. A good song for Halloween season. But will they let me go a capella? You know me, if I can get away with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment