Thursday, October 28, 2004

WEEKLY KARAOKE RECAP (OCT 22-25)

Had to skip Mutz last week, so this edition's just a tad truncated.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 22, MUGZIE'S, 16 SONGS

NEW--Beyond The Gray Sky--311--I'm stupid. I forgot how the song goes. Then again, as Steve Dahl would say, "Set the bar low and then keep jumping over it."
NEW--Midnight Confessions--The Grass Roots--Oldie but a goodie. Decided to have one of my cherry-oke popping fests.
NEW--Under My Wheels--Alice Cooper--One of the driving songs I picked out after the JA Grand Prix.
NEW--Brick--Ben Folds Five--Not bad. It's either really low or really high. Both of which I can handle.
NEW--Drive--Incubus--And that completes my "Drive" trilogy, along with "Drive" by the Cars and "Drive" by R.E.M. My mid-range served me well.
Gonna Be Some Changes Made--Bruce Hornsby--Had to try it again. Damn shortened version. Not easy.
NEW--A Hard Day's Night--The Beatles--Heard someone else do it weeks ago, it's in a lower key than the original, low enough that I did okay.
Hole Hearted--Extreme--In my range, but tough to breathe through.
NEW--I Drink Alone--George Thorogood--Kept my Smirnoff Twisted in hand as I sang. Changed the last verse: "Well I had some fun with a lady friend | But then she up and ran off | So now I spend my weekends | With my pal Pierre Smirnoff | And we drink alone..."
NEW--You Don't Bring Me Flowers--Neil Diamond & Barbra Streisand--Duet with Tina. My Neil is right on, Tina's Barbra is right on. Not bad.
It's Been Awhile--Staind--With my mid-range clicking, I can now throw this into the mix with "Outside" for some Staind variety. As for "So Far Away" and "Fade"...those both scare me.

(Now, before we move on, I must warn you: Prepare to be shocked and stunned. Hell hath frozen over. Are you all sitting down?)

NEW--Picture--Kid Rock & Sheyrl Crow--Yes, I know. You must all be flabbergasted. But I knew Tina could do her part well, and since Kid Rock can't actually sing, my part was way easy. For once this song didn't suck at karaoke. But still I felt kinda stupid. Not to mention more than a tad ashamed. But it's one more tune under my belt. Besides, shocking people is what I do. Fuck, I even shocked myself this time. Hey, gotta do the unexpected now and then, keep you folks on your toes. What will I do next? "Heart Of Glass"? "Redneck Woman"? "Quando Quando Quando"? You just never know!
NEW--Me And You And A Dog Named Boo--Lobo--Perfectly in my range. Nailed it.
One More Minute--Weird Al Yankovic--More women in the crowd than last week. Went okay. However, the more I thought about it...
You Don't Love Me Anymore--Weird Al Yankovic--...the more I realized this one would be even better to work the female part of the crowd with. And it was. The room's too big though. Can't wait to work the crowd at Mutz with it.
She's So High--Tal Bachman--Getting better at it. Needs a little more work. I want to keep this in my regular rotation.

MONDAY, OCTOBER 25, SOUTHWYCK LOUNGE, 4 SONGS
NEW--I Hold Your Hand In Mine--Tom Lehrer--I got away with my a capella Halloween tune. Not a lot of people there though, so it kinda fell on deaf ears.
Surrender--Cheap Trick--I somehow managed to not sound like Neil Diamond this time.
NEW--Big Ten Inch--Aerosmith--Was in a playful mood. Predictably I caught some ribbing from D&M.
NEW--Punk Rock Girl--The Dead Milkmen--Playful again. Fun one to do, but I flubbed a couple of lines.

Coming up: Halloween weekend. Gonna hafta do "Monster Mash", "Purple People Eater", whatever other Halloween songs I can think of. Saturday at Mutz could get interesting, what with costumes and all. Perhaps I'll be performing "Sweet Transvestite"? Be afraid. Be very afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment