Wednesday, November 03, 2004

WEEKLY KARAOKE RECAP (OCT 29-NOV 1)

Ahh, Halloween weekend. Time to play dress-up. Unfortunately, I experienced a slight wardrobe malfunction. The rubber band on my ALF mask broke. So I had to go to Plan B, a.k.a. Operation Dr. Frank N. Ducksoup. As you'll read below, this was no wardrobe malfunction! Muwahahahahahaaaaa!

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 29, MUGZIE'S, 14 SONGS
NEW--Take Me Out--Franz Ferdinand--D&M found this one for me and it worked so well that I actually did it a second time at the end of the night.
Mad World--Michael Andrews featuring Gary Jules--Something slow to start with.
The Scientist--Coldplay--Another slow one. Did it better months ago.
1985--Bowling For Soup--It's all over the radio, and it's fun to sing.
NEW--Creatures (For A While)--311--Better than the last 311 song I did, but still for some reason those are giving me problems.
NEW--Word Up--Cameo--Not the new KoRn version, but close enough for jazz. First two-thirds went okay, the rest...bleh.
NEW--Monster Mash--Bobby "Boris" Pickett--Time to try out some Halloween stuff. Did okay, but the crowd sucked.
NEW--Purple People Eater--Sheb Wooley--Same here. But had to warm them up for my big number...
NEW--Sweet Transvestite--Tim Curry--Complete with dress, wig, lipstick and fishnets. I nailed it. The mic stand, that is. I used a bedsheet in place of a cape for the reveal, and when I threw it off I knocked over D&M's mic stand behind me. Overall, a mixed reception, as expected. During later songs a guy threw a couple of lemon wedges at me. Not sure how I should take that.
NEW--Werewolves Of London--Warren Zevon--Changed out of drag, but the crowd was still...um, iffy. Easy to sing. Too easy. But you gotta love the "bip" near the end.
NEW--I Love The Dead--Alice Cooper--Another mixed reception. Easy to forget how ahead of its time this song was. But I liked it enough to repeat it at Mutz.
NEW--Voodoo--Godsmack--Got the voice nailed, but tough to breathe right during it. Better reception than the others songs, oddly enough.
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'--The Righteous Brothers--Duet with Doug. Tried to switch all our parts from last time. I assigned the harmony parts to him, but he wasn't prepared for it. Plus he had mic probs. Guess we'd better switch back in future.
Float On--Modest Mouse--I think the chicks dig this one, so I'm doing it a lot lately.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 30, MUTZ, 6 SONGS

NEW--Don't Fear The Reaper--Blue Oyster Cult--"Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription...is MORE COWBELL!"
Aint Talkin Bout Love--Dirty Power/Van Halen--Because I was wearing my Dirty Power shirt. It's a vocal workout, but I like it.
I Hold Your Hand In Mine--Tom Lehrer--D&M let me get away with it again. Went over better than last Monday. Made it a 2-fer with the next song...
Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes--Lewis Lee--They found this one just for me, so I felt an obligation. A good set-up for the biggie...
Sweet Transvestite--Tim Curry--I managed to not hit the mic stand this time. As expected, a much better reception than at Mugzie's. The Mutz crowd ate it up. NOTE: D&M got pictures, hopefully I will be able to post them here at the Pond very soon. I looked fabulous! Wait til you folks see me in fishnets. With all the walking I do, my gams are positively delicious, if I do say so meself.
I Love The Dead--Alice Cooper--Ended the night with it. Got Sam and a few others to sing along. Unlike Friday, I stayed in drag for this one. After all, it IS Alice.

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 1, SOUTHWYCK LOUNGE, 2 SONGS

NEW--Long Time--Boston--Did it as a salute to the Red Sox. But the Eddie Vedder voice doesn't work well with a Boston song. Thud.
NEW--Centerfold--J. Geils Band--Vocal range was okay. But tougher to sing than I thought. Breathing was tricky. And it needs the right crowd to join in on the na-na's.

PS: I sit corrected. "I've Been Everywhere" by Hank Snow is NOT the ultimate karaoke challenge. The ultimate karaoke challenge is "Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me)" by Reunion. But I'm not even close to trying that!

No comments:

Post a Comment