Wednesday, November 10, 2004

WEEKLY KARAOKE RECAP (NOVEMBER 5-8)

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 5, MUGZIE'S, 16 SONGS
NEW--North Of The Border--Eggs Danny Thomas Style--Written after the Election Day travesty. The premise being that if I had the necessary resources, I'd move to Canada faster than you can say Saskatchewan, but for now I can dream. But as I began to explain the premise of the song, Micki shut my mic off, so I was not able to give it the proper set-up. Plus it was in a bad key. Anyhoo, the lyrics are at the bottom of this post.
NEW--Imagine--John Lennon--I figured if I can't say it, I'll sing it. My mic was left on this time. Did good.
Behind Blue Eyes--The Who--Took forever to get a drink, ended up singing this with a dry throat. Not good.
Float On--Modest Mouse--Decided to stick to my A material, in case any bands were scouting me incognito.
One More Minute--Weird Al Yankovic--Requested by one of the barmaids.
Hurt--Johnny Cash--Starting to seem too low!
It's Been Awhile--Staind--Getting really good at this one, nice compliment to "Outside".
NEW--My Way--Frank Sinatra--Requested by another of the barmaids. Decided to throw caution to the wind. Ended up sounding like Rat Pack meets Grunge. You know me, when in doubt, fall back on the Eddie Vedder voice! So if Pearl Jam did this song, I think it would sound damn good. I got mucho props.
Margaritaville--Jimmy Buffett--Yeah, I know, someday I'll learn more Buffett.
NEW--The Closer I Get To You--Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway--Duet with Tina. She asked me to learn it a couple of weeks ago. I didn't really, but there's room to improvise a bit, so it went well.
Oh Pretty Woman--Roy Orbison--Really nailing this one lately.
Outside--Aaron Lewis & Fred Durst--Had to whip out my ace.
NEW--Lady--Styx--Actually Tina did this one, but I threw in some low harmony. Not bad.
You Don't Love Me Anymore--Weird Al Yankovic--Fun to work the ladies in the crowd, but Mugzie's is too big a room. Almost have to run across the room at times.
NEW--Don't Go Breaking My Heart--Elton John & Kiki Dee--Duet with Tina. Higher than my other Elton stuff, so not as good as I'd like.
Take Me Out--Franz Ferdinand--I'm nailing it.
NEW--Fall To Pieces--Velvet Revolver--Tina's friend sang it, but again I tossed in some low harmony. Will need to bump it down a key or three if I try it myself.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 6, MUTZ, 6 SONGS
NEW--Time In A Bottle--Jim Croce--Nailed it, but it's a hell of a lot shorter song than I remember.
1985--Bowling For Soup--Tough to breathe through it, but I'm getting better. (Actually I get kinda light-headed by the end, which sometimes is quite enjoyable.)
Turn The Page--Bob Seger--Nailed it. (Friday night while D&M were packing up, this came on the jukebox. Tina and her friend and I sang along in sort-of three-part harmony, I guess as an encore.)
Take Me Out--Franz Ferdinand--Not only am I nailing it, I really enjoy it and really get into it.
You Don't Love Me Anymore--Weird Al Yankovic--Finally I got around to working the Mutz crowd with this one. Smaller room, works much better. Gotta do it more often.
Broken--Seether (with Amy Lee)--Duet with Bev. She was rather drunk, but even when she's bad, she's good. Raves all around. (Score: Bev 3, certain person 1.)

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 8, SOUTHWYCK LOUNGE, 2 SONGS
North Of The Border--Eggs Danny Thomas Style--Got to explain the premise this time. Much more well-received with the proper set-up. Also tried a different key which worked better. Still tough to stay in sync with the music though.
Brown Eyed Girl--Van Morrison--Wanted to brush up on it, just in case.

"North Of The Border" by Eggs Danny Thomas Style
Parody of "Over The Rainbow", music/lyrics by Arlen and Harburg
Parody lyrics by D. Pribe and W. Rose

Somewhere north of the border, I can see
There's a land that I learned of thanks to the CBC
Somewhere north of the border, beer is blue
And the dreams that I dare to dream maybe will come true
I'll wish upon a maple leaf and all these redneck Yanks I'll leave behind me
Where snowflakes fall like hockey pucks and people know that Dubya sucks
That's where you'll find me
Somewhere north of the border, geese do fly
Geese fly north of the border, why then oh why can't I?
If happy Canada geese fly north of the border
Why oh why can't I?

--Copyright 2004 by Ducksoup

No comments:

Post a Comment