Tuesday, November 16, 2004

WEEKLY KARAOKE RECAP (NOVEMBER 12-15)

FRIDAY, MUGZIE'S, 11 SONGS

Babylon--David Gray--They like me to start out with a slow song...
Daysleeper--R.E.M.--...I couldn't decide between 3 slow songs...
NEW--No One Is To Blame--Howard Jones--...so I did all 3. My high mid-range worked well throughout.
NEW--Mexican Radio--Wall Of Voodoo--Steve Dahl did his show from Mexico this week, so I've had this song in my head all week even though they didn't play it, which I still can't believe.
1985--Bowling For Soup--Ahh, that delightful light-headed feeling. But actually, I'm starting to kinda suck at this one. I might have to shelve it.
Take Me Out--Franz Ferdinand--This one, however, I am absolutely nailing.
One More Minute--Weird Al Yankovic--Micki requested it. Again. Well received.
NEW--Bad To The Bone--George Thorogood--Nailed it. Sent it out to my gal Christine.
She Drives Like Crazy--Weird Al Yankovic--Every time Doug does the original, I have to follow it with this. I didn't even want to. It's so Pavlovian.
Dixie Rose Deluxe's Honky Tonk, Feed Store, Gun Shop, Used Car, Beer, Bait, BBQ, Barber Shop, Laundromat--Trent Willmon--Seems so easy to sing now. Then again, it IS country.
NEW--Don't Change--INXS--Had a good voice this night, so I went for another high mid-range. Not bad at all.

Unfortunately, on a night when my voice was in top form, since it was only Doug and me singing for two hours (again), and despite my begging them to continue, they decided to pack it in early. D'OH! Also it looks like this was the swan song for karaoke at Mugzie's. R.I.P. (But at least this will free up my Friday nights so I can watch ALF's Hit Talk Show.)

SATURDAY, MUTZ, 5 SONGS

It's No Good--Arthur Kill/Depeche Mode--My AK/DM hybrid version.
I Believe In A Thing Called Love--The Darkness--Made it work as a duet with another singer.
My Way--Frank Sinatra--Believe me, I wanted to try this in a Sinatra/Matt Dusk voice, but my EVV (Eddie Vedder voice) took over again. It can't be stopped!
Take Me Out--Franz Ferdinand--I kick ass on this song.
Don't Know What You Got--Cinderella--The EVV worked very well on it.

MONDAY, SOUTHWYCK LOUNGE, 3 SONGS
Something About You--Level 42--Heard it on the radio, had to try it. Needs work but not bad.
It's Been Awhile--Staind--Working very well except I gotta get used to the necessary breathing pattern.
You Don't Love Me Anymore--Weird Al Yankovic--Whereas Mugzie's is too big a room and Mutz is just right, the SL room is too small. Had to linger just a bit longer on each victim. Instead of singing the last line to Doug, this time I targeted Sir Bob (aka "My liege!"). Poor guy.

Notes: With Mugzie's falling by the wayside, I'll have to wait and see if they find another Friday gig for me to run. In the meantime, they have tapped me to run the Mutz show November 27!

No comments:

Post a Comment