Tuesday, October 05, 2004

WEEKLY KARAOKE RECAP (OCT 1-4)

FRIDAY, MUGZIE'S, 7 SONGS

NEW--Basket Case, Green Day
Another slip recycled from someone else.

NEW--I Miss You, Blink 182
Another song I kept hearing in between singers. Sometimes one of those songs just out and out haunts me until I sing it myself. Needs work, I forgot to start out low on the first verse. (And I forgot to sing in that weird Blink 182 accent. How the fuck could I forget that?)

NEW--Peace Train, Cat Stevens
Fortunately they haven't deported his stuff from the playlist. I think I do very good on C.S. If only they had some of his tunes from "Harold And Maude". (A bit of shamelessly self-centered trivia: This slip now shares with "One Thing" the honor of flanking my slips for "Outside". As if you care.)

NEW--Dixie Rose Deluxe's Honky Tonk, Feed Store, Gun Shop, Used Car, Beer, Bait, BBQ, Barber Shop, Laundromat, Trent Willmon
Yeehah! Nailed it! And didn't look at the monitor while singing the title either! Not even at the end when he adds "tractor parts, eight-tracks, trampolines, tux rental, groceries, video, post office, taxidermy" to it! (Granted, I had to peek once in a while during the verses, but those are tough to memorize.)

NEW--Cover Of "Rolling Stone", Dr. Hook
A duet with Edgar. He insisted I take the first verse, which I suspect was just so he could do the extremely-low-voiced second verse, which he nailed. I did good on my parts considering I've never practiced it.

Dare To Be Stupid, Weird Al Yankovic
For some reason there were a lot of 'stupid' songs being sung that night, so I tossed this into the rotation and sent it out to George W. Bush.

She Drives Like Crazy, Weird Al Yankovic
Doug should know by now that whenever he does "She Drives Me Crazy" I'm going to have to follow it with this one. The track gets totally fucked up during the instrumental though, so I have to remember to compensate for it in future.

SATURDAY, MUTZ, 1 SONG

Daughter, Pearl Jam
And so by the time I walked all the way from the Sports Arena to Mutz, I only had time to get in one song. Two others ahead of me in the queue did "Alive" and "Jeremy" so I had to go with my third choice.

MONDAY, SOUTHWYCK LOUNGE, 6 SONGS
Ended up not having to go to work, so reeled off a half-dozen Pearl Jammers:

Given To Fly (NEW), Alive, I Am Mine, Not For You, Daughter, Jeremy
The new one, GTF, was the only one that worried me, but I pretty much nailed the high parts. My mid-range is really starting to come in nicely. Put me in enough of a comfort zone that I breezed through the rest.

I think I'm going to start classifying my two groups of slips like baseball cards: "Need-It" and "Got-It". So here are some of the newest Need-Its:
Better Man, Pearl Jam; Evenflow, Pearl Jam; Hail Hail, Pearl Jam; Hunger Strike, Temple Of The Dog; Vaseline, Stone Temple Pilots
Am I getting overconfident, or what? Hello, mid-range!
Crocodile Rock, Elton John
Recycled from someone else. If I can do "Bennie & The Jets", I can do this.
Oh Pretty Woman, Roy Orbison
Recycled from someone else. More overconfidence? Maybe. But I can do the growl.
My Cellmate Thinks I'm Sexy, Cletus T. Judd
Just so Doug won't have to sing it anymore.
Over The Rainbow, Judy Garland
Why not? Why the hell not?! Give me one good reason why not! What's that you say? Because it'll be embarrassing? Ha ha ha! You fools! Did you forget who you're talking to?! Besides, if I get it just right I could make any one of you downright weepy.
I've Been Everywhere, Hank Snow
Forget "It's The End Of The World As We Know It". Forget "Dixie Rose Deluxe's Honky Tonk, Feed Store, Gun Shop, Used Car, Beer, Bait, BBQ, Barber Shop, Tractor Parts, Eight-Tracks, Trampolines, Tux Rental, Groceries, Video, Post Office, Taxidermy, Laundromat". Forget all the others. "I've Been Everywhere" is THE ultimate karaoke challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment