Sunday, January 02, 2011

MAYBE NEXT YEAR, THEY'LL USE A SUNDIAL!

Made a delivery to Sandusky Friday night, during which I stopped off in Port Clinton just in time to witness the Walleye Drop. (Got there at 11:58!) Remind me not to ever go to that again. My friend Kat and I went 6 years ago, and although the timing of the drop was crap, at least there was a clearly audible countdown. You would think 6 years later they'd improve things. Just the opposite...

This time there was no countdown to be heard, and no ticking clock in sight. Somewhere around 11:59, the walleye began to lurch from near the top of the cable downward. Somewhere around a minute later it reached an unspecified point near the bottom, and a gradual sense that it had gone as far it was going to go slowly, subtly infiltrated the crowd...so instead of a definite '3-2-1-Happy New Year!' moment, there was merely a general feeling that, okay, it's probably past midnight by now...happy new year. I guess. Um...WOOHOO!

Least satisfying ringing in of a new year I've ever experienced. Huge letdown. I wish I had just kept driving, then I would not have felt such total disappointment. (But as Kat pointed out to me, at least I was still getting paid.)


Plus, the thing is hideous...it looks more like a Snakehead!

No comments:

Post a Comment